Monday, June 13, 2016

a simple wedding pillow

A couple of weeks ago, my sister got married in Paris,
I totally missed it as travelling over there was not an option,
but I made her a silk-linen pillow to commemorate the event.


It is a very simple, tone on tone pillow, made of off-white raw silk
natural color linen, and natural cotton hand embroidery.

I followed this tutorial from Samelia's mum as I previously did


This time I rounded the edges of the L and E,
not straight line here!


Before appliqueing the love linen heart,
I quilted the silk in a diamond pattern to 2 layers of batting (no backing)
I wanted extra puffy without using synthetic batting.

Then I hand embroidered the date using a back stitch,
going over multiple times (like I did with the Teddy Taggie toy)
to give it a calligraphy look.


The back is linen with a zipper.
I decided the front needed more linen,
so I did a linen bidding like a quilt, instead a traditional pillow.
It was my first time doing this way,
I like it, it adds a nice frame,
I am going to have to try it again on another pillow.



It turned out really nice,
traditional without being cheesy,
a little heirloom but not lacy.


Modern and cool 
like the happy couple!


Congratulations, sis!


4 comments:

  1. Aww, congrats to your sis! This little pillow is beautiful! I love that you put the date on there! :) I also love that it isn't frilly. Very modern chic!

    ginnie / http://www.fakingitmostly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ginnie, it looks like it was a lovely event. Modern chic is definitively what I was going for!

      Delete
  2. Lovely pillow! And congratulations to your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...