"Faites que le reve devore votre vie afin que la vie ne devore pas votre reve"
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thursday, May 25, 2017

a sew illustrated basket, take II

After spending a good part of early spring fixing Brick Master's bedroom,
it is nice to do some girly sewing:

I sewed a sew illustrated basket for myself!



And it looks perfect with the sweet Liberty of London pin cushions
I made earlier.


For this basket, I use this collections of prints
I found at my local quilt store:




They are regular cotton prints, the collection is Garden Delights,
not Liberty of London, even if their floweriness seems familiar.

And unlike the previous basket I made for my mom,


where I used plain pieces of fabric for the sides,
this time I followed the instructions
and sewed 4 patch  and 2 patch pieces for the sides.




But I took a shortcut by stamping one of the image instead of stitching it!
I also did not add the handles, I think it is just perfect as is.



Happy sewing!


Wednesday, May 10, 2017

teen boy bedroom {the ORC edition} week six: the big reveal!

Today is the end of the One Room Challenge.
For this challenge, I chose to redo my 16 years old son's bedroom.
His room was never really updated since we moved into this house 6 years ago,
so it was time to do something special, before he goes away to college!


And because he will be leaving in 2 years, I wanted to keep the update
simple and on the cheap, which I did: I spent about $300 on his room.
Not bad for a good paint job, a brick accent wall, and some seriously sturdy shelves.

It all started with a visit to Ikea and this picture:


Brick Master and I really liked the feel of this "room"
and realized we could make something like that happened with his room.

So I repainted the walls white, and then we installed one brick wall,
the feature wall when you enter the room.


All of his art went back on the wall and then some,
Brick Master is a huge Star Wars fan, and he likes to acquire prints when we travel,
like the painting from Paris skyline, the cartoon print from the Tate museum in London,
the airplanes prints from Pearl Harbor, and the Lego"Free Hugs" from DC.
And let's not forget Miss C.'s Star Wars paintings she made for him as presents,
or the boomerang Mon Cheri brought back from Australia.

The next thing we addressed was a cool bedding, he currently likes
his comforter and bed set so we opted to not change anything there,
so instead I finally finished a quilt I had started many years ago....
and it is perfect for the room with its black, white, grey and orange!

don't you love that giant houndstooth?
so bold and graphic!

Finally we took care of displaying Brick Master's many collections:
of airplanes with this little shelf,


and of tanks, and WWII vehicles, and helicopters, and Star Wars with these shelves below:

(and karate trophies, he is now a brown belt, hoping for the black one soon!)

That's what I called some serious shelves!


I made them out of very popular plumbing parts,
it is quite sturdy but expensive, compare to regular shelves.

But it really showcases Brick Master's collection:

perfect view from his bed.

So overall it is a great upgrade of his bedroom for about $300,
with $100 for the 4 brick panels, $120 for the shelves (plumbing parts)
and about $80 of paint, wood and miscellaneous parts.


And the best part, I have a happy teenager!


Wednesday, May 3, 2017

teen boy bedroom {the ORC edition} week five

There is only one week left for this spring One Room Challenge!
And we have had some progress, yeah!

Last week, I only had part of the quilt to show,
but this week, there is an airplane shelf,
new blinds and the beginning of more shelves!

Let's start with the airplane shelf:


Brick Master has a thing about airplanes, especially model ones,
so he has this neat collection of WWII planes that he wanted displayed.
So I built him a simple shelf, very similar to these ones from my previous baking corner.


It fits perfectly above some of his Legos,
just next to his desk, in plain sight for him.



And next to the window with one of the new blinds!
I installed another 2 on the main window.
The previous ones had lost their strings and it was no longer possible to open them,
giving this room a cave feeling, perfect for a sleep deprived teenager!


So I spent about 2h uninstalling the old blinds,
and installing the new ones, I chose them cordless for safety,
2 blackouts and 1 light filtering....
it might help to get up in the morning on the weekend!


My last project is to make some more shelves for this side of the room:


Originally he had a tv but never really watched it,
so Miss C. was happy to take it off his hands!


He has a few more collection of tanks and helicopters,
and some Star Wars helmets he wants to display.

The art needs to be rehanged above his bed...


So I am planning on making shelves like these:

(picture from Dandelion Patina)


I already purchase the hardware,
I just run out of the time this week end,
Brick Master was studying for his AP government,
so I did not want to make too much mess in his room.

The test is this Thursday, on May the 4th,
a great sign for him
and all the other Star Wars fans out there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...