Wednesday, May 10, 2017

teen boy bedroom {the ORC edition} week six: the big reveal!

Today is the end of the One Room Challenge.
For this challenge, I chose to redo my 16 years old son's bedroom.
His room was never really updated since we moved into this house 6 years ago,
so it was time to do something special, before he goes away to college!


And because he will be leaving in 2 years, I wanted to keep the update
simple and on the cheap, which I did: I spent about $300 on his room.
Not bad for a good paint job, a brick accent wall, and some seriously sturdy shelves.

It all started with a visit to Ikea and this picture:


Brick Master and I really liked the feel of this "room"
and realized we could make something like that happened with his room.

So I repainted the walls white, and then we installed one brick wall,
the feature wall when you enter the room.


All of his art went back on the wall and then some,
Brick Master is a huge Star Wars fan, and he likes to acquire prints when we travel,
like the painting from Paris skyline, the cartoon print from the Tate museum in London,
the airplanes prints from Pearl Harbor, and the Lego"Free Hugs" from DC.
And let's not forget Miss C.'s Star Wars paintings she made for him as presents,
or the boomerang Mon Cheri brought back from Australia.

The next thing we addressed was a cool bedding, he currently likes
his comforter and bed set so we opted to not change anything there,
so instead I finally finished a quilt I had started many years ago....
and it is perfect for the room with its black, white, grey and orange!

don't you love that giant houndstooth?
so bold and graphic!

Finally we took care of displaying Brick Master's many collections:
of airplanes with this little shelf,


and of tanks, and WWII vehicles, and helicopters, and Star Wars with these shelves below:

(and karate trophies, he is now a brown belt, hoping for the black one soon!)

That's what I called some serious shelves!


I made them out of very popular plumbing parts,
it is quite sturdy but expensive, compare to regular shelves.

But it really showcases Brick Master's collection:

perfect view from his bed.

So overall it is a great upgrade of his bedroom for about $300,
with $100 for the 4 brick panels, $120 for the shelves (plumbing parts)
and about $80 of paint, wood and miscellaneous parts.


And the best part, I have a happy teenager!


6 comments:

  1. It's great!! Love the shelves for the collections' display. And the brick wall?! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Maria! It has been a good makeover, and I was able to teach a few things to my son... a win-win!

      Delete
  2. This is AWESOME!! It looks so great!! You did a fantastic job on his room. I love all of the cool paraphernalia that he has. This room is definitely perfect for a teen boy. Those plumbing parts shelves are so cool! I love the industrial look. My sister has a little boy, and she used plumbing parts to make his light fixtures. They are so unique too! I will have to show her these shelves. Amazing job!!

    ginnie / http://www.fakingitmostly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginnie, it was a great project! He really enjoys seeing all his treasures. I have seen some light fixtures made of plumbing parts, they look really neat. I was just surprised by the cost of the parts, but it makes the shelves so much more interesting....

      Delete
  3. What a lovely room, so mature. A beautiful room he can have into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He seems quite pleased with it, we shall see how long it will last...!

      Delete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...