Friday, March 16, 2012

fabric book, part 1

I have been working on a special project
for my niece's (baby K) first birthday.
I decided to make her a fabric book.


I was inspired by the quiet book of Girl. Inspired.
Hers is beautiful, she has a great sew-along tutorial.
I of course changed it a little, hers was made for an older girl.



For the cover, I used a pattern for an embroidery design by French Knots
and made it into an applique that I machine stitched.
I hand embroidered the face details,
and I used my embroidery machine to stitch my niece's name.
It gives the cover a little retro look.

The first page is totally based on the tutorial,
I made a lady bug with black felt,
red pattern fabric and a 4inch zipper.


I did not make any little bugs, I was too afraid she would eat them,
at one, everything goes in the mouth!

The next page was a lot of fun to design: water based!
If I remember babies properly, they like to touch and feel different textures,
so I used interesting fabrics for appearance and feel.

I made my own pattern for the mermaid
and appliqued her by machine.


The water is some Halloween lame fabric, very shiny!
I cut out some happy and smiley sea creatures that were also machine appliqued,
a lot of zigzagged edges in this book!

Next page is a fish bowl,
well octopus bowl!

I used another fish fabric for the background of the bowl,
and applique over it some tulle.


I first bind the tulle with some blue cotton to made it sturdier,
little hands can be really rough!
With my embroidery machine, I made a little octopus on some white linen,
put some batting inside as to make a little pillow,
it is interactive but there are no danger of swallowing!




Next time I will share the rest of the book,
I hope she likes it!

Here is the second part of the book.

Happy sewing!


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

 

A Crafty Soiree

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful gift you're making! I know it's going to become a treasured keepsake. Love the mermaid page.
    Thank you for sharing on A Crafty Soiree.

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...