"Faites que le reve devore votre vie afin que la vie ne devore pas votre reve"
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sunday, June 3, 2012

fete des mamans

Today is "la fete des meres",
mother's day in France,
and I made this library bag for my Mom.

I was totally inspired by this teacher gifts from City House Studio
I thought it would be perfect, my mom was a teacher,
and she loves book, so of course she needed a library book!
(needed is maybe extreme...)

I followed this tutorial by Don't Call Me Betsy.
And as I showed you last week here,
I used a mix of Liberty of London, linen and selvage,
all of the good stuff!


There are 8 different Liberty prints,
the bottom and handles are of a dark purple cotton sateen,
I machine quilted the bottom and the handles, to add texture
and stability to the bag.

The back of the bag is made of linen and the same sateen,
I hand embroidered "pour le plaisir de lire"
for the pleasure of reading in a simple back stitch.


I hand quilted the linen parts of the bag,
I tried to do a brick pattern for the back, but it did not turn out exactly as I expected,
but it still does the job!



Bonne fete Maman
et bonne lecture!

Happy sewing!





Skip To My Lou

4 comments:

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

J'aime le Bag!! (ok--my French is way rusty). Love the fabrics and the idea of it. Your mom will love it! Found you at Sew Many Ways.
<3 Christina
Http://igottacreate.blogspot.com
Wildly Original Round Up linky party is open

Bethany (Make Me A Quilt) said...

This is a wonderful way to use the Liberty prints! I love it! I just ordered a scrap bag of Liberty myself. :)
I love how you added "titles" to the books, it really adds a nice touch!
Very cute!

Sally said...

This bag is beautiful and I'm sure your mother will love!

Shari @For the Little Doll In Your Life said...

Very cute, and it was so creative using the selvages for the spines of the books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...