Tuesday, March 8, 2011

rum cake for Mardi Gras

Who is ready for Mardi Gras?
No wild party here,


just a nice little dessert:
rum cake!
(which can also be done without the rum,
but please try to channel our inner pirate:
Captain Morgan or Captain Sparrow,
I am not picky!)

My mom used to make a large one for Mardi Gras,
the traditional way with yeast : "baba au rhum",
but it takes a while,
and like cupcakes are cute version of big cake
so are these mini rum cake!

 
This is the recipe that came with my mini Bundt pan,
I have been using it for years, so good!


2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup melted butter
1/4 cup milk

(very well greased pan!)

mix all together for 2 minutes
bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes


then make the syrup,
this is where you can skip the rum!
I usually make it plain, use it for the kids
and then add the rum.


1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
1/4 cup (or more) rum

mix water and sugar, bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
Poor over the still hot little cakes.
I found it best to give some time to the cakes to "drink up"
the syrup, but no necessary to do it the day before.

Enjoy eating these rum cakes!



Not enough time for cake?
there is always time for cocktails: hurricanes of course!

Happy Mardi Gras!



4 comments:

  1. so this is what you were cooking. I wish we could have had the conversation while tasting one of these ones, they look delicious, and i love the pans. thanks for you smartness too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute little cakes with beautiful golden crusts. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! And the mini bundt size is extra cute.

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...