bathroom

how to change a towel bar
or how joint compound can be your friend!

I am a homewrecker....
as in I take apart home
...not family!

While we are still working on improving our kitchen and basement,
I decided that I could stand no longer
contractor grade towel bar!
I had been looking at it for a long time,
(since the day we moved in, over 2 years ago!)
wondering how to take it off...


They are everywhere in the house!
Who needs a full towel bar in a powder room?!
And I just prefer brushed nickel.
So I took one of them out...
and here it was happened!


Yep, there are 2 big holes!
The bar was very securely installed in the wall!

My dog,GBD, who is my shadow, had this to say:

What would Daddy say?

 (I am Mom to my dog, I am one of those!!!!)
There could be trouble!
Luckily Mon Cheri is very cool by nature,
and as I am fairly handy
he knew I should be able to fix it!

So here is how it went:

since the holes were about 4.5 x 2.5 inches,
I had to first install a piece of wood behind the hole.


I cut some dry wall, just a little smaller than the hole
and screwed it to the wood.


I put some tape so that the joint compound could fill in the hole.



 I applied the joint compound,
a small layer at a time,
sanding in between coats for a smooth finish.




Then I applied some primer and repainted.
Now time to install a proper towel bar...


and voila
a almost perfect bathroom!!



I started with the kids bathroom,
(also for guests)
so definitily there was a need for more hanging space!

So maybe now it is time to take over that powder room
and install a small and cute towel bar...
OK may be I will wait until I am done with the basement...
or not!

So today, it is not happy sewing
but happy dry walling!

Comments

  1. Hi Morgane!
    Thanks for your funny comment on my post today (I will, I must try!...) Are you kidding me? You are a woman who can repair drywall- I am convinced you could do anything!!!
    So happy I found your blog- I'm having a good time going through past posts.
    Happy sewing tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Popular Posts