Wednesday, April 7, 2010

purse for little girls

As spring is here to stay,
it is time to wear new clothes
and with new clothes,
there are needs for new accessories,
I mean Purses!
Even little girls love purses!


So here is a tutorial for our favorite purse!
It is adapted from a "Creative needle" magazine
(August 2008)
you need 3 different fabrics (left over) and some batting.
I chose some faric left over from the daisy quilt.
The front lining is a little longer than the front.
Both back are the same.
If you are using a directional fabric,
make sure to cut the back upside down!

First make a sandwitch with the lining, the batting (cut to the front size)
and the front, aligning with the bottom. 

Fold the lining excess first to the edge of top fabric,
then again on the top of the fabric,
basically binding the top fabric.

Stitch the pseudo binding and all around the 3 layers.

Trim the excess fabric on the sides.
Using the top fabric back,
find the middle and sew an elastic to the top,
it will be used to close the purse.
I like to use hair elastic (like these ouchless)
they come in many pretty colors
and they make the purse easy to open for little fingers.


Make another sandwitch with the batting, the top fabric and
the lining fabric, both fabric right side together.
Stitch the top portion only
(where you can see my pins)
keeping the elastic between the 2 layers. 

Trim the bating to the size of the back,
and pull the fabric right side out
Press well.

 Top stitch the part you just sewed.
I also stitch all around to make sure
all the layers behave as one.

With lining together, stitch the front and back (sandwitches)
all around the botton (the unfinished edges).

To make the binding/strap, some bias must be made.
Cut the fabric at a 45 degree angle.
Stitch together a few pieces to make it long enough.

Fold the bias in half
press it well.


Starting with the middle of the bias, pin it to the bottom of the purse
(from the top) 

Stitch all around carefully, starting and stopping
at the beginning of the top layer.
Fold over the binding to the back,
 pin it and hand stich it.
Since it is a small distance it should not take too long
it will look much nicer.
The 2 ends of the bias must also be stitched,
it is a little tricky, so make sure you pin it first
making sure that the strap is not twisted!
I have learned the hard way!!
and I hate seams ripper!!
Cut the excess seam and press.

The strap is finished by folding the bias twice,
following the lines of the bottom of the purse.

Then carefully machine stitch the strap.


Final step: attach the button.
I know it is easier to attach it earlier
but it is more acurate this way!


and just enjoy!

If you are interested in making one,
email me and I can email you my pattern.
Happy sewing!

12 comments:

  1. Those are super cute!!
    Yes i can have double nationality. The papers on the French side take for ever! I have been working on for 2 years on it and they keep on changing the papers i need. Then i have to go to San Fransisco each time. The States side is super easy for papers, everything is on line. In France nothing yet. They will get there! :)
    I am posting a link on my story on the post so you can read it!
    Have a great day!
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love the pattern. I have lots of little girl birthday parties coming up. These would make great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Morgane..French That is so neat!! I love your little girls purse..great minds think a like. I designed a little girls purse 30 yrs ago when my girls were little that is very similar..Now that I'm going to open an ETSY Shoppe in about a week or so my daughter has convinced me to bring it back.. so you may be seeing mine soon,too.
    Wanted to let you know I'm your newest Follower..Hope you can take a peek at my blog @
    santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & see if there is anything that inspires you for your Family/Home & that you will become a Follower of mine too. I hope to have Link Party ("My Creative Space Mondays")starting next Monday..Would love to have you join us. Have a great day...Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s so nice! And great tutorial, maybe I can try it! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last week for a 3 year old's birthday. She loves it and has been carrying it around everywhere!
    http://www.thesellers.net/2010/04/little-girls-purse/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love the pattern if you don't mind. My girls would love it!
    thanks,
    Angi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angi Lee, I do not have your email!
    Please email me back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth M. ZarazuaOctober 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

    I would love this pattern if you don't mind. My grand daughter loves to have purses to match her outfits.. My email address is

    emaria_39@yahoo.com

    Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi great tutorial! My daughter is wanting me to make her a long strapped purse. I would love for you to email me your pattern at mirandalovespurses@hotmail.com
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little purse! Could you please e-mail the pattern.
    sd420899@gmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. would love to try making this cute little purse. Can you send me at pattern at cntrymrs@yahoo.com Thanks so much! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...