Sunday, December 29, 2013

buche de Noel

For Christmas Eve's fest, I made a traditional buche de Noel!
It had been my goal for a few years,
but it had always fallen short of my expectation,
well at least of my memories.
But this year, I did it, alright it might not be perfect
but it felt right to me, and tasted delicious...
which is after the most important part!


After taking my French pastry class, I was ready to face this challenge,
I did it all just a few hours before diner....which had to be pushed a little so that I could finish!


This buche is a rolled cake with an espresso chocolate mousse and chocolate frosting,
 covered with shaving of white chocolate,
the cake is also moistened with a pastry syrup with grand marnier,
yep chocolate, coffee and orange flavors all together....


For the roulade, I used:
 5 egg yolks, 2.5 oz sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 
5 egg whites, 2.5 oz sugar, 4.35 oz cake four, pinch of salt.

For the mocha ganache mousse, I used:
4 oz semisweet chocolate (chopped), 1/4 cup of milk, 1 tsp instant espresso powder
1/2 cup of heavy cream

The syrup is simply one part sugar, one part water, boiled until clear.
Once it is cooled, it can be flavored with juice, vanilla or liquor.

For the frosting, I followed the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa:
1 stick of butter, 2/3 cup of cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla,
3 cup of powder sugar, 1/3 cup of heavy cream.


It was so tasty, everybody just loved it!
I think they will want another one next year!

Happy day!


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing and yummy. I can see myself eating this with a nice hot cup of coffee. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be teaching this recipe to a friend of mine who, after reading a book of traditions, is interested in making her first.
      I can totally see how it would go perfectly with a nice cup of coffee, I might get a chance to do this year, if my teenagers do not eat it all at dinner... Happy Holidays!

      Delete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...