Thursday, November 10, 2016

Baking corner {One Room Challenge} week six: the big reveal!

This is it, the last day of the One Room Challenge:
the big reveal!



Here is my little baking corner with its shelves 
for my many baking dry goods,
a countertop to use and display the kitchen aid
and below it a cabinet to house the trash can.



Let's walk back through time and look where we were



My inspiration can be found here,
the transformation of the cabinet here,
and the pull-out trash can here,
with a tutorial from Remodelando la casa.
Last week, I started working on the floating shelves,
getting inspired by this tutorial from Shanty 2 Chic.

Well it took a while and a fair amount of errors,
but I built them!

The first shelf (larger and bottom one) was built with
a piece of MDF cut out in a L shape for the top
and a piece of 1/4 inch plywood (also L shape) for the bottom.
It was not the best idea, as I did not cut it out as straight as I would have liked it!
So for the next one I used some 1x5 for the top and still some 1/4 inch plywood
but this time I used 2 pieces the same with as the 1x5.
It was much straighter and easier!
Good to know if there is ever another time....


The base of the shelves was 1x2 for the most part, with a 2x2
near the angle to make attaching top, bottom and front plate easier.
The only challenging part was finding some studs...50 year old house can be interesting!
To make finishing easier, I primed all the boards/parts before attaching them to the wall,
so I only needed to caulk (a lot to hide my unevenness!) and paint,
and touch up the walls...


Once everything was smooth(ish) and dry,
I was able to put my various flour in pretty containers (IKEA),
put a sticker on them and call it ready.
Another little thing that I fixed: the electric outlet.
It was dirty, painted over (green I think).
I was planning on replacing it but I am not a big fan of electricity,
well I am, but not the wiring part....
In this post by Dream Design DIY ,
Tiffany talks about an electric plate that is attached to the outlet
covering the mess without having to wire anything.
I had to check it out and invest $2.25....
totally worth it!


I am going to get a few more to fix a couple other ugly outlet!
I also added some under mount lights under the shelves,
they are LED battery powered lights, very bright and discreet!


Now I must admit that while I am quite pleased with my little baking corner,
it is not totally finished....(the shame, I know)
You see, by itself it is perfect, or even with the cart from the other side of the door,
(with all our drink crates), it goes well,



but I feel like it is not quite right with the rest of the kitchen.



To me, it needs to be the same countertop, so I will be looking into some black granite,
or may be we might be looking into changing the island and reuse that slab of granite
for the baking corner.
I saw this cool kitchen redo by Design Thusiasm (going on right on ORC)
where Lory did exactly that, and it looks pretty good.
Either way we are going to live with the temporary butcher block cutting board
until we make a decision, which knowing us, might be a while!

Happy day!

8 comments:

  1. that will come in handy with the holidays! i am sure you will be more motivated to bake- looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie, I hope to do lots of baking, my favorite way to cook!

      Delete
  2. Love love love this sweet baking corner!! It turned out awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, I used it this week end and it totally worked! I can see a very sweet future...

      Delete
  3. I love this little spot. The canisters look great on those shelves, and the cabinet is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it turned out pretty much as I wanted it. I have been doing some baking and so far so good!

      Delete
  4. I adore your baking corner , as well as the fab floating shelves. Really there are so many things I love, love, love. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun project and it is still in service, quite useful.
      It brings a lot of personality to an almost forgotten corner!

      Delete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...