Thursday, October 7, 2010

film reel plaques

I have been working on making our house
more appealing so that we can finally sell it,
and be once again one big happy family.

The main complaint we heard : the basement,
somehow, it was not up to par to the rest of the house.
So this week end, I reorganised it with my sister's help,
and decided to decorate it using a film/theater theme.



And I found just the perfect accessories at Ballard Designs:


Unfortunately they were not in my budget,
so I got crafty with cardboard!

I cut large circles, 2 of each sizes. I used plates and large trays as patterns.


I then use various glasses for the inside cutouts.


I used those extra pieces to build some inside structures,
and then painted both sides.
I first tried craft paint, it looked flat.
So I got my metallic spray paint,
and painted each one a different color.


For the ticket, I used the backing of an old furniture.
I cut a rectangle and removed the 4 corners using again a glass as my pattern.


I painted it a beige color and with black paint, I painted a border.
For the inner border, I used a sharpie, much easier!


I used my slice cutter to make the letters out of black card stock
that I glued to the back.


I did purchase  this metallic collage (for $25), the basement is a large
space!


To complete the look, I made 3 new pillows,
using some cotton canvas, they are fresh and go well with the theme


and the new area rug.

I also reused some picture frames that we had at home,
5 little black ones with DVD photos in it, to replicate posters,


and a bigger one where we can write on, to let everyone know
the movie of choice for the evening.
On the background, I wrote "the Luxor presents",
I was inspired by this post from Get Your Craft On.


Before



After

 



I think overall it is a good improvement,
and hopefully next time somebody looks at it,
it will be a sale!

Oh happy day!


Visit thecsiproject.com

11 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB! And much more cost efficient. love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your movie reels and ticket stub turned out great! What a fun project! I love Ballard Design too, but I think their prices are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so smart using cardboard. They turned out great! Big basement!!! Holy moly. It's amazing how many house hunters just don't have an imagination. Hello, it's a huge basement. You could do anything you want down here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Great blog i like it
    Hollywood was once the mecca of film and television production, today most major studios and television networks have moved out of Hollywood to build expansive studio back lots where land was more accessible in all areas of Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea! I too love the reels from Ballard, and added them to my Amazon wishlist....however, I bought some cheaper ones from the LTD Commodities catalog! I think I will borrow your idea and make my own ticket sign from cardboard/pressboard though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Great blog i like it
    Hollywood theme parties are becoming extremely popular these days as more and more people are deciding on putting a twist to their normal run of the mill house party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    Great blog i like it
    Hollywood theme parties are becoming extremely popular these days as more and more people are deciding on putting a twist to their normal run of the mill house party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi

    How did you do the inside cutouts?

    Which tool did you use?

    I do them with a cutter and the result is a circle with imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a craft knife (with a sharp blade like for paper crafting) and cut slowly.
      Hope it works for you

      Delete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...