Monday, August 15, 2016

a totally scientific tote

Did you know I am a chemist, and came to 
this country 20 years ago to finish graduate school?
I had wild dreams of research and academics success,
well it did not totally work out that way,
but I am happy with where I am.


The nerdiness or coolness of science has not left me
and when I saw this fabric collection "Chromatics" by Melissa McCulloch,
I knew I had to make something with it.




So I made a tote bag to go to the library!
I used the main print for the body of the bag,
and accentuated it with some cool turquoise/aqua fabric
for the bottom and handles of the bag.



I added some hand quilting around some hexagons,
it has a nice touch and keep the batting in place.


It is lined with a simple white cotton for the most part,
except for the top where I used another hexagon fabric.


The pocket and key chain were made with the DNA print,
too cute and practical.
I had so much fun with that fabric collection,
that I decided to make a little hexagon tray.
It seems very fitting with the lining.
I followed this super easy tutorial from a spoonful of sugar 


I think it is actually easier to make than the square one!

Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. You find the cutest fabrics ever! I love this tote! :) Great job!

    ginnie / http://www.fakingitmostly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ginnie! it has been fun to carry it around, people ask me if I am into sciences!

      Delete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...