Monday, October 19, 2015

gougeres

Two years ago, I spent 6 evenings at a great cooking school to learn
the art of French pastry,
I knew a few things but I learnt a lot of tricks, making the work easier.
While we mostly prepared desserts, I rediscovered a favorite of mine: gougeres.
They are made of the same dough than choux or puff,
but with extra cheese and spices/herbs in the dough itself
making it a great appetizers. 



Interested in making your own?
they are actually easy to make and delight adults and children alike!


you will need:
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
3 1/2 oz butter
5 1/4 oz flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
cheese (Swiss and Emmental are a good combinations)
salt, pepper, spice, herbs
I like to use cayenne pepper and herbes de provence.

Bring to a boil the milk, water and butter together in a pan,
remove the pan from heat then add the flour and salt at once,
stir with a wooden spoon and return the mixture to the heat,
stir constantly while cooking for a couple minutes.
Now the clever part (and so much better than doing it by hand!)
put the dough in the KitchenAid,
 and mix it with the paddle for a couple minutes to cool it down,
then add 1 egg at a time, mixing constantly.
Take the bowl from the KitchenAid and add the cheese 
(about half the volume of the dough), and spices as desired,
mix manually.

Scoop the dough with a small ice cream scoop onto paper or mat.
Because of the cheese, I found the scoop works much better than piping,
but piping them is perfect for the sweet version (same dough, just no cheese or spice!)
Egg wash the gougeres twice
Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, until golden brown


This recipe makes a lot of gougeres, prefect for a party,
but too much for 2 people.
So I freeze them, and just warm them up at 300 degrees,
and they are just as good as the first day!
The chef who taught the class, recommended to freeze them right away,
even if they were eaten the next day,
they would be fresher that way.

My kids love to have them for snack: they grab the bag from the freezer
and warm up 5 or 6 in the toaster oven!



Happy day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...