Friday, December 4, 2020

building a mantel for our old fireplace

Last weekend, I built a mantel for our fireplace.
And it took about half a day!


Simple, yet perfect!

Here is the original fireplace to our late 60s house,
totally naked, except for the blue tape I was using for reference
while I was decided on the high and width of the mantel.

(Bosco loves looking outside!)


changing a few things, 
as I wanted a floating beam.

I used 3 pieces of pine: 1 x 5" x 8',
and made a long skinny box (88").
I stained it with Early American.

(you can see the tree I was flocking in the background!)

Then we hanged a 2" x 3" on the bricks
with special screws, it was a little scary!
I also attached 4 little pieces of the 2 x 3
perpendicularly to the wall to help support the beam.


Finally we put the beam on the support,
and put a few screws from the top,
and voila!


Surprisingly it looks like it totally belongs!


And now I need to decorate it for Christmas,
for the first time!

Happy Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...