Wednesday, November 9, 2011

the 12 days of mittens: day 2

Yesterday's mitten idea was the advent calendar,
great way to use of lot of them,
cool but how do I make them?
Well after making them for the past 10 years,
I got a pretty good technique!
It all started with this mitten that I made for Christmas 2000:

(quite country!)
I always liked the idea of using mittens
instead of stockings,
probably because in France we do not have stockings!
(the traditional way is shoes by the fireplace.)
But also because mittens are not Christmas specific,
they are wintry, so they can appeal to every one.
Over the years, I have made a few different versions,
which range from minimal hand work to all hand sewing.
Here is my latest version as seen on the advent calendar:


all hand made.

Here is how I make them:


Step 1: I cut the snow flake with a die cute machine
 (very old school, but great with felt)

Step 2: I hand stitch it on its 6 points

Step 3: I cut both layers of felt with my pattern.
(you can use a little kid mitten for size)


Step 4: half way point!

Step 5: I stitch a 5 inch ribbon in half
inside the mitten,
(you can see the stitching form the flake)

Step 6: I use a blanket stitch to go all around
the mitten, I use a white DMC cotton perle,
it is thicker than regular DMC cotton floss
and more expensive, but it works better.

I always try to have enough for the entire mitten,
so that I do not stop and start.
Because of the high contrast,
it would show too much.
The correct length seems to be about 60 inches.

Now you know all about "this year" mitten!
Go ahead,
make a mitten!

Happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...