Tuesday, July 9, 2013

summer treat mini quilt: finished!

While we have been very busy with the pool, especially the kids
 (with at least 2 h of practice everyday, and 3 meets a week!),
I have found some time to make a quilt out of the paper pieced blocks
I have been working on before the summer.

And I love how it turned out!


I am going to keep that one for myself,
very selfishly!

During the summer treats sew along,
I made 9 paper blocks following the patterns of Ellison Lane.


1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

I added some sashing between rows of blocks,
but not between the blocks themselves,
a few of the blocks have space around them, 
so I felt it was not necessary.
I sewed a border around the blocks of the same background color,
and finally the border that inspired the color choices.


I decided to skip bidding the quilt,
I did some simple quilting with the top and batting,
then I sewed the back to the quilted with right side together (leaving an opening)
and then turning everything right side out (hand stitching the opening close).


I finally did some real quilting, giving dimension to the ice cream.
To keep the background from "puffing out",
I wrote some words with free motion like summer, ice cream....
It is a little hard to see as I used some off-white thread,
I wanted it be subtle, may be too subtle!


I cannot wait to hang it in my sewing room!



Happy sewing!


Paper Piecing Party
Fresh Poppy Design

8 comments:

  1. I love how your quilt turned out. I made four of those blocks, and will make it into a quilt when I come home. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely and so perfectly summery! I may need to print the patterns off and make some for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love how you quilted summer words into the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for your nice comments, it totally rocks my world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Kristy's. I love your quilting on this. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! What perfect border fabric!!

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...